Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Before and After

,before
after
This is my very FIRST furniture project I have made and I am very pleased with the outcome. My grandmother handed me down this piece of furniture when my husband and I moved into our apartment. I was inspired by photos pinned on pinterest and I was determined to accomplish a refurbished piece of furniture on my own. This project was also part of my 101 in 1001 goal, I got one down and two more to go. These are the steps I took:
1. I took out the drawers and unscrewed the knobs/pulls.  The drawers had two holes from each pull (totaling 4 holes on each drawer) and I only filled one hole on each side with Elmer’s Wood Filler (leaving a total of 2 holes on each drawer). I then sanded the entire piece until I couldn’t see the surface shine anymore. I used a roll-on brush. I then grabbed a wet cloth and cleaned/dusted the furniture. (1st day)
IMG_1020
2. The very next day I primed the entire furniture. I quickly went over everything with one coat and didn’t care much if there were streaks on it or not. Let it dry for 24 hours.  (2nd day)
3. On the third day, I sanded the entire piece once more and cleaned it with a wet cloth. (3rd day)
4. I added a second coat of primer the next day and let it dry 24 hours. (4th day)
5. With the roll-on brush, I painted the entire piece with Burnt Red Olympic color paint. I only applied one coat. Yes, you could still see the primer a bit. Let it dry for 24 hours. (5th day)
6. I applied a second coat of the colored paint. I made sure I used a thin layer of paint on all of my coats, I noticed the thicker I used the more clumps you could see. Let it dry for 24 hours. (6th day)
7. On the next day I sanded the entire piece and cleaned with a wet cloth. Let it dry. (7th day)
8. I applied a third thin coat of colored paint. Let it dry for 24 hours. (8th day)
9. Apply a fourth thin coat of colored paint. Let it dry for 24 hours. (9th day)
10. I actually let the entire piece dry for 3 days before I installed the new knobs/pulls. (10th day)
This project took me an entire month to complete because of the drying time. I wanted it to be perfect so I HAD to be very patient, which was extremely hard.
red1

No comments:

Post a Comment